Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Doi Inthanon National Park

Trekking through the hills of Doi Inthanon and Karen Villages 40 mins from Chiang Mai was a great ending to an amazing trip. This was the final stage in my many experiences over here. The group I went up with was absolutely fantastic, except for the few that complained about how strenuous the hike was. I was just laughing inside thinking what do you think you paid for, an elephant ride into the hills? We drove 40 mins from Chiang Mai city into the hills where the Karen villages started. Karen tribes people have an estimated population of 322, 00o, they originated in Burma but have migrated due to the ethnic war in their home country. There are about 10 different hill tribes that Chiang Mai recognizes and the Karen people make up the majority of them. It was an amazing experience to watch them in their village, the women in the rice fields or looking after an infant and well the men, I didn't see many of them doing much of anything...
The first day we went bamboo rafting down a small river, similar to the river we raft down at the cabin but with smaller rapids. We got totally soaked, either from falling off or people splashing with their poles. It wasn't so bad getting soaked because it cooled us down for the 3 hour all up hill hike that was ahead of us, it was definately a great workout. We arrived at our hut which had a beautiful waterfall 10 feet from our bungalow flowing so heavily because of the rainy season. As soon as we arrived at the camp we stripped down and jumped right in, while some of the complainers grabbed and beer and sat and watched us! hah
We took our soap and shampoo and showered and sat in the current of the waterfall for a while to cool down. The guides came in and joined us and showed us the special areas where we could jump off the waterfall into the pool, but I was content staying at the base in the water!
After we managed to put on some dry clothes and hang the wet ones dinner was almost ready. The guides and a few of the Karen village people were slaving away in a small hut with one fire and many dishes of different spices and chopped food. I went in their and watched them at work in amazment. In the end for dinner they served us (12 people) a huge serving of steamed rice, two large bowls of green curry and sweet and sour chicken. The food was so delicious, and just to think they made it all from scratch in that little hut.
With full tummys and an exhausting day of hiking I think most people were ready to get to bed, however we checked the time and it was only 7:30pm...So instead someone pulled out the Thai rum and a guitar and we started to drink and play games until a little later in the night, but still we were in bed by around 11...
Breakfast consisted of tea, coffee, toast and scrambled eggs, and for those Australian's who read this....VEGGEMITE...oh it was so good and brought back so many memories! For those Canadians who are reading this and want to try some, I brought some home with me so you are in luck :)
The second day was kind of sad, I had to part with all the people I had got close to on the hike because they went on to do another day of hiking and I had to head back to Chiang Mai because I had a flight to catch from Bangkok. We only hiked two hours this day and the majority was downhill. We arrived at where we go elephant riding and immediately I did not want to be there. I won't go into detail but I was describing to a friend how I just wanted to jump off my elephant, free all the ones chained to a tree and run away. I felt like I was supporting such a cruel thing. I didn't support them any further by tipping or buying any pictures, and will advise future travellers to do the trek and rafting but not the elephant riding. I just kept thinking of the elephants I saw while in Africa and how free and beautiful they were...these ones were captive and who knows what they go through.
Enough about that, the day ended shortly after, we hopped in the back of a truck and drove back to Chiang Mai.
I'm now back in Bangkok after taking an overnight bus down here and today will be my day of last minute shopping, touring and errands (phone calls, mailing etc).
I already miss the islands and beaches, but I know this is not the end, it is just the beginning of my travels and adventures!!!
Stay posted!

No comments: