Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cambodia - Streets of Phnom Penh

We are now in our fourth country of the trip, Cambodia and in the capital, Phnom Penh. The capital is a crossroad of Asia's past and present, a city of extremes of poverty and excess, of charm and chaos, but one that never fails to captivate. Once the 'Pearl of Asia', Phnom Penh's shine was tarnished by the impact of war and revolution.
Already I have mixed feelings about this place, as Amy and I were checking into our hotel and I was signing my name on the guest list I noticed there were only single (white) males staying there.....hmmmm......then wondering the streets, I had never seen so many middle aged single men wondering around and a quarter of them arm in arm with a local young woman....I know this is common practice around Asia and I have witnessed it before but never to this extent. Both the prostitution and poverty is the worst I've seen yet in South East Asia which is a little sad but still an experience in itself. I'm excited to see what positive things this country has to offer! We plan to visit the sights tomorrow and take in some of the sad and devastating history of this place and then head further north to Siemp Reap......

No comments: