Sunday, July 4, 2010

Phi Phi - My Love

Amy and I are now back on Phi Phi...after a night in Phuket Town we wanted to get out of there pretty quick, not much to do there and the wet season was in action. We made our way over to Ko Phi Phi which is an island I visited three years ago and absolulely loved. I didn't do any diving on this side of Thailand at the time and have heard it's amazing so this is where I planned to do my Advanced Diving course with PADI and Amy did her Open Water course with SSI. The weather here has not been too great....a little sunshine the first day for diving and then basically drizzle with a few sunbreaks. But the great thing is it made it easier to sit in a little cafe with a coffee and study my book. When you're out on the water diving you don't notice the weather so it actually hasn't affected me which is nice. Temperatures are still above 28 degrees and the water temperature is 30 degrees which makes it a diving heaven for me.

Amy and I met a couple guys from Australia, Ireland and girls from Paraguay on the boat over and ended up going out with them that evening, drinking, watching fireshows and dancing the night away.....

The next two days consisted of study, diving and beach time...the first day I did the Navigation and Peak Performance Buoyancy dives and then next day did the Fish Identification dive, a Deep dive and Night Dive. With water temperatures at 30 degrees I could have stayed underwater all day, it's the warmest conditions I've ever been in and probably the most sealife I have ever seen. This place basically has it all. I saw everything from a black tipped reef shark, a dozen groupers, angelfish, butterfly fish, cornet, trumpet fish, a school of travelly and barracudda, a couple giant moray eels, black spotted snake, which will kill you if it bites, squirrel fish, anenome fish (little nemo's), crabs, wrasse, and the list goes on....no turtles but that is why I've booked the Malaysia dive trip so I can SEEEEEE a turtle. I think it's been long enough.

So I officially got my advanced diving certificate on Canada Day 2010 but I was too exhausted from two days of diving and the night dive that I passed out right after a little celebration and video watching in the dive shop... It was great fun completing the course, maybe next time I'll do my rescue and dive master :) Today Amy and I will take a boat over to Railay which is near Krabi on the mainland before heading to Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia.

No comments: