Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Isla de Ometepe - Maderas Volcano


So we did it, we climbed the Maderas volcano to the summit in all types of conditions - it was a tough, muddy scramble through cloud forest to the crater. It is probably one of the harder hikes I've done in my days but still doable and enjoyable at that... We experienced running from the native monkeys (Caouchin which have white faces and Howler which look like mini gorrilas) that was trying to s%#t on us to protect his territory and I must have been the target because I felt a little splat on my forehead only to discover the monkey had got me. No big deal, it was definitely worth seeing the monkeys and standing under them a bit too long to watch them! Our guide Louis was excellent, he taught us all about the local forest and fauna, history of the volcano along with the petroglyphs we saw along the way! The terrain was tough and at some point we were literally were rock climbing up the mtn using tree vines to help our way up and out of the muddy trail.. On the way down we would be grabbing on the anything for dear life trying not to bail, although it happened to just about all of us.. We are now back in the hostel laying in our beds stating.. This is definitely the hardest thing I've done in a while! Well it's bed early tonight I think with plans to explore the rest of the island tomorrow.

No comments: