Saturday, August 25, 2007

Camping at Maya Bay

Ko Phi Phi Le Aug 25-26

"It's already EPIC and we haven't even done it yet"
-Jake Fowler

That is exactly what it was....epic.
Camping at Maya Bay "The Beach" was even more amazing that anyone could imagine. The preparation for 30 of us to go was all worth the while, with Amir, Andy and Dave as master planners. They handed out flyers to get the group which ended up being 30 of us...people from Canada, Ireland, England, Australia, Mexico, Holland...etc. We gathered and prepared all the food (meat and veggie kebabs, steaks, chicken, sausages, potato, fruit salad and snacks. We loaded all the food and alcohol into one boat and had three others filled with people and set off to this protected cove beach.

The night was absolutely perfect, the moon was three days short of being full, the beach was so peaceful and untouched and everyone was having a great time. Amir performed with his guitar and did a fire show for us all and the rest of the night we had a stereo playing whatever we wanted.

Camping at Maya bay is a once in a lifetime thing, we were lucky enough to have Amir which is someone of a Phi Phi local to have connections and know who to pay off...haha
The night was filled with eating, drinking, swimming and everything was lit by the moon.

The next morning we woke early and left the beach before it got crowded. We headed for phi phi but stopped on the way to go cliff jumping. I wanted to jump so badly but the rocks were so sharp that the guys that manage to climb up all cut their feet, so I swam around the boat. But realized when I was swimming I wasn't alone...little tiny jellyfish with stingers were stinging me all over...I felt like I had a thousand cuts all over my body and I had jumped into salt water...I swam until I couldn't stand the little stings and then got out...

We got back to phi phi which was only a 30 mins boat ride from where we camped and almost everyone went back to bed after the long night. I went to the beach to read, sleep, enjoy the crystal clear waters and get in as much as I could of the most beautiful place I've seen in a while.

I have met some amazing people on this island and I know I will see them again, well at least keep in touch! I'm off to Ko Pha Ngan in the morning so I said my goodbyes and I was off to the biggest beach party in the world!

No comments: